ALL the News about
Mormons, Mormonism
and the LDS Church
Mormon News: All the News about Mormons, Mormonism and the LDS Church
Posted 27 Apr 2002   For week ended February 08, 2002
Most Recent Week
Front Page
Local News
Arts & Entertainment
·New Products
·New Websites
·Mormon Stock Index
Letters to Editor
Continuing Coverage of:
Boston Temple
School Prayer
Julie on MTV
Robert Elmer Kleasen
About Mormon News
News by E-Mail
Weekly Summary
Submitting News
Submitting Press Releases
Volunteer Positions
Bad Link?

News about Mormons, Mormonism,
and the LDS Church
Sent on Mormon-News: 05Feb02
By Kent Larsen
Download to My Handheld!

How Barton-upon-Humber England Got Missionary Murderer

BARTON-UPON-HUMBER, ENGLAND -- An article in The Times of London last week gives an account of how Robert Elmer Kleasen, once convicted and newly accused of the 1974 murder of two LDS missionaries, was able to not only enter the United Kingdom, but there amass a large weapons cache under the noses of local police. Kleasen is currently facing an extradition request from Travis County, Texas, which wants to try him again in the 1974 murders. The extradition hearing is now scheduled for later this month.

Kleasen is accused of the murder of Elder Mark Fischer and his missionary companion, Elder Gary Darley, who disappeared after they were scheduled to meet with Kleasen on October 28, 1974. The missionaries were supposed to have dinner with Kleasen despite the suggestion from a local bishop that they stay away from him. Investigators later discovered that Kleasen had a very violent past, including a shooting incident in New York state and firearms violations there.

Kleasen was convicted of Elder Fischer's murder in 1975 (he has never been tried in the murder of Elder Darley), but after two years on Texas' death row, an appeals court overturned Kleasen's conviction, ruling that the search of his home was illegal and that key evidence had to be excluded. New York prosecutors were able to convict Kleasen of weapons charges and he spent 10 years in federal prison. He disappeared after his release, eventually appearing in England, where he was again arrested and convicted on weapons charges.

His reappearance in Britain led Austin prosecutors to review the case, and they soon determined that DNA technology allows them to reopen the case. Kleasen was then re-indicted and an extradition request was sent to England in time to keep him from being released from prison there.

But the investigation into Kleasen's time in England has brought to light worrysome details about how a convicted murderer managed to enter the country and then amass an arsenal of weapons in a quiet English town.

Kleasen's entre into the United Kingdom originated even before he was released from prison. While an inmate in New York state, he started a pen-pal relationship with Marie Longley, the widow of a Humberside police officer who sought a friend through the International Penfriend Association after he first husband died, "They sent me a list of 14 people, some men and some women," she later told the Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph. "I wrote to them all. Bob's name was on the list."

And Kleasen replied, starting a correspondence riddled with lies about his past. Not only did he forget to mention the murders of the two missionaries, he also claimed to be a prison employee instead of an inmate, and when Longley believed him, he expanded his lies. By the time he was through lying, he spoke six languages, had flown combat missions over Korea and Vietnam, piloted U2 spyplanes and was a hitman who had helped kill Che Guevara. He also said he had brought actual U2 piolot Gary Powers back to the U.S. after he was shot down and had won the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Then, two years after he began writing, Kleasen wrote to say he planned to visit. "It was supposed to be a holiday," says Carolyn Longley, Marie's daughter-in-law. "But all these boxes full of his things started arriving by post before he did. He said he would be moving in 'to see if it worked out'. That lasted till he got locked up."

Apparently there on a regular tourist visa -- the kind that involve no questions from British authorities, and Kleasen soon got permanent residence by marrying Longley on January 11, 1991. Within days he had a new, permanent visa, and Longley started a living nightmare that included threats of violence from her new husband. He even pointed a shotgun at her head once and threatened to kill her if she ever left him.

Kleasen turned his attention to a local duck hunting club, Wildfowlers, and soon had permits to own guns. In spite of threatening incidents against fellow Wildfowlers members, Kleasen applied to Humberside Police for a gun dealer's license, and soon got it.

He then began using his wife's savings to buy an arsenal that eventually included a Thompson sub-machine gun, a silenced .22 Ruger pistol, and hundreds of rounds of home-made ammunition for his weapons. "I can't understand how England let him do this," one U.S. detective later, when Kleasen's whereabouts became known in the U.S. But Barton Police Seargeant Peter Stevens explains, "the policy then was not to check abroad for foreign nationals seeking gun certificates. All they needed was a pair of referees and a clean local record." The Humberside police even sent him a Christmas Card in 1998, and one defense lawyer even argued that he was "effectively called on to advise police" on how to use some weapons.

But Kleasen's lies eventually caught up to him. The members of Wildfowlers were convinced he was a nut, and even thought about kicking him out of the club. Instead they asked the son of one of the members to search the Internet to see if Kleasen had won the Congressional Medal of Honor. When Kleasen's name wasn't on the list of medal winners, Wildfowlers contacted the police, and the International police agency Interpol was asked to run a check on him.

The truth then came out, and Humberside Police knew of his record as early as April 1999, but they delayed another year to make sure that Kleasen was the same person as the Texas murderer. Finally, on April 19, 2000, Kleasen was jailed on firearms violations.

Marie Longley now says she feels safe again, "I'm safe now," she told her daughter-in-law. "It's over."


Monster in our midst
London UK The Times 28Jan02 P2
By Giles Whittell
How did Robert Kleasen, a death row survivor and serial fantasist, manage to settle in a quiet English town and amass an arsenal of fearsome weapons? Giles Whittell investigates


[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 Kent Larsen · Privacy Information