Summarized by Kent Larsen
Fire in LDS Chapel Cuts Short Sunday Meetings
(Church Fire Forces Evacuation)
Long Beach CA Press-Telegram 22May00 D1
Long Beach: Electrical Outlet Sparks Auxiliary Room Blaze, Causing $100,000 Damage, No One Hurt
LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA -- A fire in an LDS chapel in Long Beach,
California forced the Virginia Ward to cut short its meetings Sunday.
The 150 Church members in the building were all safely evacuated and
the Long Beach Fire Department responded to the blaze, which caused
an estimated $100,000 in damage.
According to the Captain Michael Garcia of the Long Beach Fire
Department, the fire started at about 9:50 a.m. in the Relief Society
room of the chapel, apparently originating in an electrical outlet.
The damage was confined to the Relief Society room, according to
reports in the Press-Telegram.