By Kent Larsen
Smoke, But Not Fire, Interrupts Stake's Sunday Meetings
ROY, UTAH -- LDS Church meetings for about 900 members were cancelled
Sunday when local leaders discovered smoke filling the chapel. But
while firefighters were called in, no fire was found and the
condition was blamed on a faulty heating system. Church members in
the Midland, Pheasant Run and Wheatridge wards on Roy, Utah's west
side should be able to use their building again on Sunday.
Stake and ward leaders in the building for early meetings discovered
the condition at about 8:30 am, before any meetings started.
Officials called in the Roy Fire Department, and Capt. Mark Becraft
took a "better safe than sorry" approach, sending several fire
engines. The electrical and gas utilites were also contacted to cut
service to the building while the fire crews investigated.
Investigators eventually identified the heating system as the source
of the smoke, blaming a mechanical failure for the smoke. Repairmen
were to examine the system Monday. The fire department used fans to
clear the smoke from the building. No one was injured and property
damage was minimal.
The members of the wards that meet in the building were diverted to
other stake centers were they could hold their regular Sunday
meetings. Stake President Mel Fowers said that the stake was
fortunate, "If we hadn't been there, who knows what would have
Smoke cancels services at LDS church
Ogden UT Standard-Examiner 15Oct01 D1
By Bryon Saxton: Standard-Examiner Davis Bureau
Heating system at Roy stake center apparently fails